While Blackboard (Bb) Learn has an option to upload videos directly into a course, this practice is highly discouraged as it causes very large courses and ultimately raises the cost of making courseware available to students. The Bb Learn system was never meant to be a video streaming service. Panopto, on the other hand, is designed to do exactly that and also offers a number of integrated features to complement your videos. Furthermore, Panopto integrates with Bb Learn, providing a secure interface to make your videos accessible to only your students within your course. Even if you are not creating your videos using the Panopto Recorder, your videos can (and should) be uploaded to the Panopto server. If you’ve uploaded videos directly to your Bb Learn course rather than using the Panopto integration, your course is likely to catch our attention and we will reach out to you, asking you to work with one of our Educational Technologists to learn the preferred method. The ETMS Instructional Technology team thanks you for doing your part to keep the costs of our eLearning technologies as low as possible to students while allowing us to provide a robust tool set to enhance teaching and learning.
If you have videos stored directly in your Bb Learn course(s), we encourage you to proactively request a consultation or refer to the bottom of this page to learn how to delete videos the correct and efficient way.
Panopto Help for Instructors
- How do I configure my Blackboard course for Panopto?
- How do I record and upload a Panopto video to my course?
- How do I upload recorded Zoom sessions to Panopto?
- What kind of files can I upload to Panopto?
- Getting Started with Panopto (pre-recorded workshop)
Benefits of Using Panopto for Video Content
- Integration with Bb Learn ensures videos will only be available to students in the configured course(s)
- Ease of editing videos
- Unlimited storage
- Automatic Closed Captioning
Using Panopto for Student Video Assignments
The integration of Panopto within Bb Learn allows course instructors to provide a "video dropbox" for students to submit videos for assignments. Students can create videos using Panopto, their phone, or any number of other tools. There are two different options regarding how to set up the dropbox for video submissions. Please visit our help page to see an explanation for each and to learn more once you've determined which method is appropriate for you and your students.
Watch a video regarding this process.
If you delete a video from a Content Area (i.e. START HERE!, Course Content, etc.), it still exists in the course files area within Content Collection. This causes very large courses and ultimately raises the cost of making courseware available to students. In order to ensure you are deleting videos permanently from Blackboard Learn, rather than leaving them in course content, read below.
After logging into Bb Learn and accessing the course, please follow these steps below:
- Under the Course Management on the left-hand side is the Control Panel. Click Content Collection.
- Click your Course ID, (i.e. 2203-12345 or 2203-combined010123), which is also the first option in the drop-down menu.
You will be directed to that course's file area, which is titled "Course Content: [Course ID]". This area contains all of the files that an instructor or course developer has uploaded to a Content Area, including video files.
- Click twice on the column heading 'File Type' to sort the course's files. Videos will be grouped together and signified with a video icon.
- Select the videos you want to delete by checking the box to the left of the file icon.
- Once you've selected videos to be deleted, click the gray 'Delete' button at the bottom of the page.
- The pop-up below will appear. Click 'OK' to permanently delete the videos from your Bb Learn course files area.
- Click 'Submit' to finalize the deletion. NOTE: You can deselect videos during this step if you need.