You have the ability to add ASR (automatic speech recognition) generated captions to your Panopto sessions. Note that machine-generated captions clearly aren't the same as human transcription so they need to be revised and edited to ensure they are 100% accurate. This document outlines the process of importing the ASR captions into a video using the editor, so you can edit them.
ASR captions are not available in the editor immediately after a video has been uploaded and processed. Below, please find the target completion times for the captions.
Target completion time for videos one hour or shorter: 8 hours
Target completion time for videos over an hour: One day
- First, find your video that you want to add captioning to in your Blackboard Learn Course (Tools>Panopto Content)
- Maneuver your mouse over the video that you want to add captions to and click on Edit. A new window will open.
- In the new edit window in the left navigation, click on Captions.
- From the Captions screen, click on Import Captions then Import Automatic Captions
- You can now edit the captions if you would like.
- To add these captions to your video, click on Apply.
- NOTE Automatic captions are not 100% correct. If you need Closed Captions for a student as a part of their accommodations, please contact Student Accessibility Services at (319) 273-2677 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Close the editor. The video will now refresh and will have closed captions added.
You may wish to share the following video with your students. The video shows students how to access closed captioning as well as a feature that allows them to slow the play speed of the video to assist in providing greater clarity:
Video for students (4:08): Automatic Closed Captioning and Playback Speed in Panopto Videos